According to Ayurveda, any imbalance in the body causes diseases. This includes improper gut health as well. For good digestive health, one must have a healthy gut microbiome and this can be achieved by following an ayurvedic diet and lifestyle. One must remember that good gut health also correlates to better mental well being. Read on to explore further, what Ayurveda prescribes for gut health and a sound mind.
Ayurvedic Rules for Gut Health and Sound Mind
- Sip on warm water throughout the day as it stimulates digestion, removes ama or toxins, and boosts metabolism.
- Avoid cold beverages, especially at mealtime as it can dampen the digestive fires or Agni that are hard at work assimilating your nutrients.
- Always eat while sitting down and not when standing. Moreover, eat food slowly. Slowing down before eating helps your body to get ready for digestion.
- The second step in digestion is chewing your food. Make sure you chew your food rather than swallow it. This helps to break down the food with saliva and improves digestion.
- Consume food when you’re hungry only. Always think before consuming food- are you eating because you’re bored or hungry? Moreover, have the largest meal at lunch because your digestive fires work the best at noon.
- Add fennel, coriander, cumin, cardamom, and ginger to your diet as they help in healthy digestion.
- Add ghee to your diet as it helps lubricate your digestive system so that food is broken down effectively.
- According to Ayurveda, one must include all 6 tastes in the diet: sweet, salty, sour, pungent, bitter, and astringent. This makes sure that all nutrients in the right proportions are available in your diet.
- After eating a meal, walk for 15 minutes. This aids in healthy digestion.
- In Ayurveda, one must sleep well as it contributes to optimal gut health. If possible, try sleeping on your left side as it helps to push food waste from your small intestine to the large intestine, ready to be excreted the next morning, when you wake up.
Following the above rules in your daily life will help improve the condition of your digestive health. Moreover, it will also bring about a positive influence on your mind as digestion and mental health work hand in hand. All these rules are relatively easy to incorporate and don’t require you to spend money handsomely.